Samples Accidently Frozen

(Figure 1: Frozen bag of insects)

 When I came in to go through the samples that had been put in the freezer, since these samples were somewhat wet initially, they froze... Which this is kind of an oversight on my part, albeit I place them in the same exact area in the freezer every time, but because of all the rain, they were more wet when usually its just some frost nips here and there. Placing holes in the bottom of the cups was a success, but there was obviously too much water on the samples... I am trying to creative problem solve this since the rain doesn't seem to be going away. How do I dry the samples (if they happen to be wet) before I place them in the freezer? The freezer is basically to make sure the insects are dead (sad I know!) but I have to make sure there isn't any air in the bag, and then the cold chills them. Insect pop cycles!

I have now placed them in the fridge since they cant stay out over night or the samples will start to rot, they always have to be chilling. My idea is if I poke holes in the bottom of the collection bags, the water will melt and drain through while they sit in the fridge, freeing up the insects from the ice. Ill let you know how this goes! I will place a collective pan underneath to make sure it doesn't make a mess.

Let me know if you have a better or different idea! Id love to hear it, Hope everyone is doing well :) 


Comments

Popular Posts