Not What I Expected

 Wow! All I can say is wow. I am shocked, and not in the best way. I thought that this semester's temperature change was going to influence the collection in a positive way, but in reality, I am collecting far less bugs than I did last go around. Its insane, but I think the collection is down something like 70%. How can this be? Why was I expecting such a different kind of end game. The temperature is warmer, which to me would allow for more diversity and higher levels of collection, but this is not what I am seeing. I did two collections, just like last time, and The first collection of the Native Garden only saw 1 flying insect! 1! I know that sounds like it cant be right, but I went through it with a fine tooth comb and a magnifying device. The edible garden did have more, but not by much. 

One of the other factors that makes me wonder about is that a couple of the coups had bee flooded from watering (in both gardens) and this might have impacted the collection. I want to maybe do another round of it, but then the comparison will be off since the first semester only had 2 collections. I need to think about this and see if it would skew my results in one direction or another. How crazy! 

Science never ceases to fascinate me, once I have things "all figured out" or assume one way, it always shows me whats up.

Some photos of my collection process. Very tedious. 

 





Comments

Popular Posts