Day Fourty-three

     Josh and I started stressing plants today.  This was undoubtedly the next step in our experiments and one I am excited to take.  Josh has been running some experiments while I tend to my other demanding classes.  I would prefer to give all my attention to this experiment, but he reminds me that balance is ideal.  He thinks that the morning is a good time since its quieter in the bio-sciences department hallways;  I  agree. 

    The data table is growing, which is awesome to see.  The more data the better.  Since this was the first time I had stressed a plant (plant 1), I expected the amount of triggers to be higher than average.  That's not what I saw however.  I saw a very small amount of triggers, and none actually in the "trigger window."  I will stay cognizant of this potential outcome as we continue to experiment.  This will have to be done many times over, until there's nothing left of the plants.  As an extreme plant lover, this makes me a little weepy on the inside.  But as an aspiring scientist, I know this is an inevitable component of striving to understand a thing better.

Notes: 

*  I wondered about keeping a hard copy of the excel spreadsheet, but it ultimately seemed unnecessary.  

We have begun prepping Plant 4 for drought treatment.  We will withhold water from this plant for x amount of time, and then run a session with it. 

*  The rest of the plants are being watered like normal, but not over watering to limit effects of moisture inside the sound-chamber.  We have also started to use a moisture reader, which I think is a great idea.  

*  We have added additional boxes to the spreadsheet to further classify session data. 

Attached are plants, as well as a screen shot of the data.  





   *The bottle next to the "drought plant" is suppose to draw in and trap bugs

Comments

Popular Posts