Day One

        Today is the first day of September 2022.  I have just commenced my internship with Phoenix College following getting acquainted with Josh and the Bio-science department; and I could not be more ready!  Touring the bio science department and familiarizing myself with the different areas and people was a fantastic change of pace.  I was eager to get going with my research project; I am sure it was palpable (LOL).  Josh is an incredibly cool dude, and I am ready to learn as much as I can.  I feel like he gives great direction and insight while also letting me take initiative.  I appreciate this since I am an obsessive control freak extraordinaire! (LOL)
       When Josh approached me about the potential of a plant-focused project, I felt as though I was collapsing like a dying star (in a good way, think supernova).  He knew how much of my life is centered around plants; it is my cornerstone.  So the possibility of cultivating my own plants for research was music to my ears.  Having almost one hundred indoor plants has allowed me to observe and absorb for quite some time.  I have them grouped in different "colonies;" and I have always noticed the larger colonies do the best (at this game called life).  It is basically all I do when I am not doing homework or at school/work.  I have successfully germinated orchid seedlings (Tacca chantrieri), which was one of my more prouder moments.  The oldest plant I have I inherited from my late grandmother, Carol Shaw, and to date, is now 45 years old.  Very proud of her as well, a gorgeous Schefflera Arboricola specimen.  Watching my grandfather and mother garden my entire life was so rewarding.  They were such different people but found common ground in tending to living things.  I think when you are encouraged into practices at a younger age, they have a way of imprinting on you. 
       Anyways, that is a rabbit hole that goes pretty deep (LOL); back on topic.  This specific research project will entail growing seeds, yellow-pear tomato plant to be specific (Solanum Lycopersicum).  The growing area includes six pots and two grow lights.  The pots are arranged in two rows parallel to the grow lights to reduce any unwanted phototropism.  Each pot contains three seeds, for a total of eighteen
seeds.  We thought this would increase our chances of germination since three seeds failing is much less likely than one seed failing (per pot).  
       Once the plants germinate and grow to a length of about 3-5 inches (roughly), We plan to cut away "limbs" to increase the stress level.  This stress level might activate communication, and this communication could potentially be detected in a soundproof compartment of some kind (still being conceptualized) using echolocation and even an EMG sensor system; we have time to fine-tune this next phase while the plants are still germinating.  The echolocation device is incredibly sensitive, so I am in the process of researching the best kind of soundproof environment.  I am still realizing the mechanics behind this project's further construction and will post as things come into clear view.  
       The thought of personally being able to quantify plants communicating with one another, auditorily or otherwise, is stimulating.  I am surrounded by plants constantly.  Therefore the concept of being surrounded by chatter (even though I cannot hear it) makes sense to me.  Once the plants have germinate, I would also like to introduce speaking positive affirmations on some level, to try and encourage communication at a young age. 

*Attached are some photos of the progress made today.

Alex Shaw




 






Comments

  1. Hi Alex, Happy to read your post. Very interesting! A plant that is 45 years old. I almost fell down when I read that, but funny enough I was in bed, so it wouldn't have been bad (LOL). You have almost 100 plants in your space? You made me curious and want to see your house when usually I am not this nosy lol. Bear with me. You got me interested! I honestly know nothing about plants other than a few memories from my previous courses, but nothing more. I am curious to read more about this. Keep us in the loop. Good luck and have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peniella,

      Thank you for your comment!!! (haha) honestly I feel the same way sometimes, she has since passed and the pressure to keep it alive is immense (LOL) You got me thinking, maybe ill post some picture of my place if you think you'd like to check it out! Its usually light up all cool too since I have plant lights hanging all over the place :)

      Thanks for reaching out! I hope you have an amazing week!

      Alex S

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts